Saturday, February 12, 2005

romance

My goodness, I cannot believe I waited this long to declare my intense love for NPR! Public radio rocks my world. I have been an avid listener for years, initially to fill in the hours spent in Michigan commuting from my home in Ann Arbor to my job in metropolitan Detroit. An hour each way had to be filled, and soon my passion for shows such as All Things Considered, Fresh Air, and This American Life blossomed.

I can remember when I was driving away from Detroit towards my new life in NYC, pledging via cell phone and hearing my name over the radio for the first time. Getting to compliment and support a show and broadcaster who was only on the air at 2am Saturday mornings, guest appearing in the afternoon for the pledge drive. It was wonderful being to directly effect programming, having a voice.

Currently I have my radio on most days at work, listening all day to the dulcet sounds of Leonard Lopate, Teri Gross, and Brian Lehrer.

If you have not been introduced the This American Life with Ira Glass as of yet, please let me be the one to pop your cherry. If you are going to listen to anything this next hour, take a gander to last week's episode, episode 247.

I was drawn in at first by the initial chapter of this episode, the romance industry. See, the publishing company I work for makes its bread and butter from romance novels. As the show reinforces. It of course is a good segment, but the show gets exponentially better in the next two parts.

Next we get to hear dating perspectives from transsexuals. It is funny, and sweet, and romantic. My favorite part here was the woman who became a gay man. He addresses the common disbelief in the fact that he became a man to love men, that is just would seem so much easier to stay a woman. The guests are so upbeat and optimistic you cannot help but actually feel like there is hope out there in the dating world for us all.

If you have only fifteen minutes, listen to chapter three, the greatest love story of the century, hosted by Sarah Vowell. You will recognize her voice from the recent blockbuster "The Incredibles", as she was the vocal talent portraying Violet. She describes this story with such wit, sarcasm, and a sardonic tone you cannot help but laugh at love and yet fall in love with love at the same time. You have probably heard the story of this romance before, but I can absolutely guarantee this will become your favorite rendering, as it has become mine.

Thank you public radio, for actually helping me to look forward to Valentines Day!!!

No comments: