Thursday, February 03, 2005

oh so pleasant

Well dear readers, I have graduated to the big leagues of blogging. I got my first negative comment.

Which of course I promptly deleted. (la la la)

Not a fun experience, but I suppose if you are going to do this kind of thing you need to acquire a thick skin. Basically the anonymous individual did not seem to pleased with the concept of me blogging about my match.com adventures. They got the impression from my entry that I would be mocking the guys, as opposed to my normal brand of humor which entails me making fun of myself and telling stories of strange situations.

It all comes back to the concept that the impression you make at any given moment may be the most important one.

Think about it - the first guy to ever go postal could have volunteered at soup kitchens, shoveled the snow for the old lady next door, or done some other great and wonderful things in his life. Some point in his life he finally snaps, and boom, he is remembered for that. His entire life summed up from one day. Extreme example, obviously, but you get my point.

This same concept applies to blogs, obviously because the most recent post is the one you see first. More importantly though, this immediacy concept applies to people. You know, the real life kind you can see, hear, and touch.

One of my favorite movies is Harvey. I absolutely love the quote "Mother used to say that in this world you have to be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart; I prefer pleasant much more." Every time I see that movie I feel so inspired by Jimmy Stewart's character's kindness and generosity. More importantly, I am reminded how the little niceties can make such a difference in every person's life that you touch.

You know what I mean. When you see someone you know, say hello. Smile at people. Listen to them when they tell you how they are and care about it. Take the time to learn something new about someone you see every day.

Hopefully this kind of thinking will not taint my blog to a point that it is so politically correct you will puke. That helps no one. I will try to remember the importance of context, however.

In the meantime, I know I have a reader who has left a definite impression of having been dissed in the dating scene. A little bitter, you might say. For you, I am sorry you feel that women are more prone to laugh at you then themselves. Or maybe that is part of the problem?

No comments: