Monday, February 14, 2005

expectations

Happy Valentine’s Day reader!

My least favorite week of the year has begun.

First there is Valentine’s Day. No matter what state of coupledom I exist in, this holiday always causes angst. As a single person it is annoying because the coupled people like to point out you have no valentine. Point out with pity. That is bothersome because I don't believe being single is something to be pitied. When in a relationship it is cumbersome because suddenly due to the fact some stupid saint has a festival day you are supposed to act in a particular way and reach a certain standard. People are measuring the worth of your relationship based on what you and your significant other do and don't do within a 24 hour span.

Rubbish, I tell you.

The thing that makes it my least favorite week as opposed to day is that by birthday is Friday. I don't mind getting older, once I reached 31 I lost most aging angst. The problem is now I'm supposed to set up some kind of party to celebrate. What if I want to celebrate by doing something I don't normally do? Normally I have fun with others, drinking and carousing. Maybe I feel like trying on a cultured, refined me for a while?

I guess it comes down to the fact that I hate other people placing expectations on my shoulders. I love being free, crazy, a will of the wisp. No assumptions, no guidelines, do what I want to do be who I want to be... (Oh no I just quoted some lousy commercial!)

So now to make myself feel better I have to figure out something totally random to do this weekend, just to shake my self up. I'll let you know what I come up with...

No comments: