Thursday, March 24, 2005

little day rebellions

There are many nice things about living in NYC. I am loath to admit it, but the cable is one.

We have all that fancy on-demand stuff. You know, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax have their own channels that act as a digital library of their programs. As a subscriber here you can watch any series or movie they offer at your convenience in your own time.

This technology has spread by now, as has the tivo clone DVR. It is nice and all. Now some newer things are popping up.

We have had the digital video store - like pay per view, but again you have VCR type control over the purchase for 24 hours. Now there are on demand channels popping up for the regular cable stations. HGTV, DIY, BBC America, Comedy Central - they all are offering on demand access to their programming.

The most fun of these is the AOL music channel. Videos and interviews and live music oh my! I just found a new band to love, Rise Against, a new punk band that has resonance to one of my all time faves, Bad Religion. The video is a clever depiction of a group of by day paper-pushers and by night urban anarchists. They go all over town spreading the truth, like writing "42 grams of heart attack" on a McDonalds billboard, putting "I've spent my entire life trapped in a cage" stickers on the information panels at the zoo, or drawing plastic surgery scar marks on an emaciated model billboard. Power to the people.

At the end of the video one of the weekday warriors walk by the CEO's office and puts the "I've spent my entire life trapped in a cage" sticker on his door.

Rather hits me where I live. All right, that's the last straw. I'm quitting my job and starting a punk band. Done and done.

No comments: