Sunday, March 27, 2005

grrrrrl power

Summation of weekend as follow up to last blog:

All you can drink special at Buster's Garage did the job. What did the job even better was Pele who kept buying myself and my girlfriends pitchers once the special was over. He couldn't even speak English, he just knew that it was better to have us sitting next to him then the rest of the sausage fest at the bar take over our spots. Hats off to Pele! I spent a bit of the time talking to a single dad at the bar. He was feeling down and insecure about himself, so I listened for a bit and reinforced his confidence in parenting for a while. A fun moment in the conversation was when he was describing his nosey overbearing neighbor who gives way too much unwelcome criticism. His exact words, "I mean, she's over thirty, single, and never had kids. She's attractive, but obviously there is something wrong with her." I didn't stop to correct his error, but had a private chuckle. Here I am, fitting the criteria, but since I’m on his side... whatever, he just showed his ignorance. Later on when he asked me out I had to put him straight. I was nice, but honest. It was pleasant enough to be a shoulder for the evening, but I don’t want to apply for the job.

We then moved on to mr second degree of separation’s show. I do have to say, he can sing. He had some stage presence. I even found myself dancing a bit, it was fun. And I actively avoided talking and being seen by him, which was quite a feat since it was a VERY SMALL VENUE. We are talking a bar and four tables up next to a stage. The size was really good for the atmosphere though. I can say I would see him again. I still don't want to have a conversation with him. Just shaking his hand made me not want to read his blog for two days, and I enjoy reading it too much to have a whole conversation and then quit! I don't know why I have this strange compulsion to only read it when I am anonymous, but I do.

I then broke my Katz's cherry. I have lived in NYC for over four years but this is the first time I have gone to the world famous Katz's Deli. It was amazing. The pastrami literally melted in my mouth. I'm not even a big deli meat person, but let me tell you, that sandwich was heaven. By the time my girlfriends and I were done, it was 1:00 am and we were too drunk and tired to hit the second show and split up to take cabs home.

Yesterday was a blah day, watched a marathon of the first season of The Office, watched my first Fellini film, La Dolce Vida. My couch and I spent some good quality time together.

Today I went and saw Ms Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous. I have a deep dark secret; I absolutely love the fist movie. I saw it in the theater, and enjoyed it, but did not realize how much until it was on constant circulation on cable. If I catch it on TV, I have to watch. So many themes really strike home for me. The ugly duckling concept, the idea that girls can get by in a guy's world, that women can be as capable at fighting as men, and that being strong and smart are in themselves sexy. The second flick was not as good as the first one, but still was enjoyable, I laughed out loud at parts. The nice thing about the sequel is it brought on a new moral that again brought a tear to my eye. Don't let society try to pigeonhole you into some Barbie ideal of beauty; you are beautiful as a real person. Makes me want to dye my hair pink all over again. So instead I just went and cut it all off. It's short, spunky, and by god I look more like myself than I have in months. It was fun to do too, since I used a razor to cut it. Rule of thumb, after you cut yourself twice its time to stop.

Not a bad weekend, all told.

No comments: