Monday, June 12, 2006

the speech

I gotta say, it was quite a week. Without much free time I didn't really get a chance to blog about it all, so I may be playing catch up for a while. But at the very least I have to start off with my speech at the wedding.

The wedding itself was beautiful. Sunny and pleasant weather, serene in the remote country location. The bride looked amazing, the groom dapper. During the 15-minute ceremony you could see the groom getting choked up, and the bride almost went with him.

We did the receiving line, and then hit the bar and the appetizers.

Oh, and the shots. My mischievous cousin Joe was there, harbinger of tequila doom. I did two shots within fifteen minutes. Then the caterers asked if they should start pouring the champagne for the toast. I nodded.

At this time Andy the best man came up to discuss how the speeches would go down. We agreed he would go first and I would go next. No one else was interested in speaking so this would be simple. Could have been the fact that there were 110 people and no microphone that discouraged others, just maybe.

I got everyone's attention and silenced the room, and Andy got started.

Let me tell you, he did a FABULOUS job. The speech was written down, well thought out and prepared. It called out all the cool funny things about Katie and Scho. Really, this guy nailed it.

Yeah, at this point I was a little nervous. There was not much meat to my speech, and I had just composed it a while earlier. But I think I had the sentimentality to bring it.

He finished speaking, and I stepped up. Below is a paraphrasing of my own speech; memory and tequila may change a detail or two, so please forgive me:

When Katie told me last year that Scho had popped the question; I realized I might have to give a speech at their wedding. That had me worried, as you all know I am very shy and hate speaking to large groups of people.

*Pause for laughter*

In thinking of what I could talk about, I have to think back to when I was about three and a half years old and found out my mother was pregnant with a younger brother or sister. My brother wanted a brother, and I wanted a sister.

The competition was ON. Because obviously my strong will and competitive streak could effect the outcome of my mother's pregnancy. Of course.

Obviously as the time came, it turned out my mother had a little girl, and I had a sister. I had won.

The thing is, I really did win.

*This is where I start to choke up for real*

I won because I got Katie as a younger sister. Such a sweet, loving, caring generous person. We are so lucky to have her here, especially having almost lost her so recently.

*Still choking up, fanning my face to JUST HOLD IT TOGETHER*

Really I couldn't be luckier to have Katie in my life.

And then she went and met Mike.

*Roll the eyes, wait for laughter*

Here is this guy, car racing, game with tevas spanking friends, living in sin, occasionally singing songs from Pirates of Penzance in public.

*Everyone calls out for Scho to sing a song, we laugh*

Thing is, Scho is a really great guy. He genuinely loves and cares for my sister, and so again I am so lucky that Katie has found someone who loves her so much and will always be there for her. They are truly a wonderful couple and I couldn’t ask for a better person for my sister.

*Raising my glass*

Here is to Katie and Scho and a long happy life together!


Ho boy, I got choked up so easily. It was very heartfelt though. How often do you get to publicly tell someone how happy you are that they are in your life? Hard to do, but so worth it.



No comments: