Wednesday, May 11, 2005

unlimited potential

Today is a good day.

I am eagerly awaiting my introduction to live Weezer. Tonight, I see them in concert for the first time ever. I can see it now; Rivers Cuomo will be on stage, mid-set, and say:
"Is Rockstar here? The one who writes Ignorance is Bliss blog? You have a backstage pass waiting for you."

At first I'm shocked, and then I'm nervous, but I know deep down inside I'm ready for any situation.

I go backstage, meet the band. Rivers is shy at first, as he is known to be. But I have a secret weapon. I know that he analyses popular music on his laptop - in Excel. I AM THE QUEEN OF EXCEL. What do you think I do for a living, anyway? Helloooo, manager of reporting and analysis!

So we look at a few of the models, and the ice is broken. Next thing Rivers is asking me to hang out with them on tour. You know I would say yes in a heartbeat. I quit my job and become the soul mate of Rivers Cuomo. Done and done.

What if this plan falls through? Oh, I have a backup. As I mentioned earlier, today is a good day.

My phone rang earlier, it was an ex-roommate. She had bumped into an old college friend, from her rowing team. Seems this old friend works for Google.

If you do not know this already, I am an uber geek. I dream of working two places - Apple and Google.

My ex-roomie knows this of me, mentions my passion. Her old chum mentions that they will be hiring soon, and to have my resume sent to her SO SHE CAN PASS IT TO HR PERSONALLY.

I know I'm writing in caps a lot, but you gotta understand, it is just that kind of day.

Rarely do I pass on resumes anymore, I need to know the person to do that at this point. Yet this college buddy of a friend is still in the pass on stage - my good fortune!

Did you know Google has replaced Microsoft for employing the geniuses? I heard it on NPR today, and you know to me their word is gold. How cool would that be to work around geniuses all the time? It will be high school all over again. I was the "dumbest" of the honors program. Just meant really that I was the only kid in the honors program who didn't study and happened to be drinking already. What can I say, I was bussed to school, grew up in a rough neighborhood. Oh, and I'm Irish. Alcohol is in my blood.

So plan one, life with Rivers. Plan two, life with Google. I like them apples. In the meantime, I have had three beers in forty minutes to pre-game for the concert. If your liver can process one alcoholic drink an hour, how fast can your stomach process a beer? What is the saturation point for my blood vs. my stomach? Right now I have an hour and twenty minutes of beer left in my system. Time for red bull.

Side note - I have decided I do not use the word "quixotic" nearly enough.

quixotic P Pronunciation Key (kwk-stk) also quix·ot·i·cal (--kl)
adj.
Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals; idealistic without regard to practicality.

Drunk blogging is fun.

No comments: