Tuesday, May 24, 2005

god's will

Is to have me caffeinated - you do realize that. I just went to starbucks for a small beverage, a "tall", if you will. They gave me a "venti". Just because.

This means two things. One, I'll probably work out a bit longer than I had anticipated at the gym tonight. Two, an energized blog entry.

Earlier today I was walking down a hallway at work and noticed a Sopranos poster on a co-worker's wall. A big one.

What does it mean when you put a poster on your wall? I would think it is meant to symbolize that you are a fan. Simple enough. With a show like this, however, what are you really a fan of? Yes, the show is really entertaining, smart, and well put together. But when you come down to it, it glorifies a terrible life. Every good intention and aspiration is twisted by greed and crime in that show, really.

I had this roommate once who loved the godfather movies because of the family values. Yes, family values. C'mon, doesn't the guy shoot his brother in the second movie? Aren't they killing and betraying each other constantly in the name of "the business"??

Seeing the very large poster for some reason automatically made me think that this girl was a fan of organized crime. I almost stopped to ask, really.

Nothing that you display at work is one-dimensional. If you put up the picture of the clash, let’s say, you want to represent yourself as being somewhat anti-establishment. Or if you put up a picture of fairies, that you are a frilly kind of person. Or if you display pictures of you ex-lovers with their eyes cut out, that you are a serial killer.

On display I have posters of: The Complete Shakespeare bound edition book, Winnie the Pooh and friends, the world map, Apple products, I then have postcards on my peg board of: Rosie the Riveter, Ani Difranco, Starbucks, the wave, a Rockwell painting, some other postcard from the Met, and a Weezer calendar. My office says, intellectual, diverse, with a sprinkling of subculture.

I’m not sure what my co-worker is trying to say about her with the poster. But I can tell you this - I'm thinking that maybe I'd better stay on her good side.

No comments: