Thursday, May 19, 2005

the fun girl, part one

I am known as a fun girl.

How do I know? When I walk into a room, people cheer. They say to me, "I'm so glad you are here", or "You have been missed". They ask me to come out more often, have a beer, hang out.

I am not the only fun person that I know, or of my friends. In fact, my best friend in the city is another fun girl.

What is a fun girl? A girl who puts you at ease. Who you enjoy talking to. Who makes you laugh, who lets you cry. She listens to you because she really wants to know. She enjoys your company because you are you. And you are special, unique. There will be no uncomfortable silences, no awkward moments, just laughter. She is the unofficial social chair of any group.

There are many good points to being a fun girl. You get a lot of positive affirmation because people feel good having you around, and want you around more. They invite you out; compliment you, thank you for coming.

I do not act how I do for the benefits. They are nice, don't get me wrong. I just enjoy people, I enjoy life. It rather seems to bounce back.

There are plenty of downsides to being the fun girl. Yin and Yang, people. There is balance in this life. The down side I will save for another day.

As a fun girl, I expect to be replaceable. I have been in many places where my charm loses its novelty, and a new person comes in to woo the masses.

Every now and then I am proven otherwise.

Last year I missed the entire softball season due to my health issues. Damn hernia. I played with the team tonight. It was so much fun! The most shocking thing to me was that even though my second base spot was gone, *my* spot was not. The old teammates were so happy to have me back, and even the new ones who played last year said they felt like they missed out because I was not around.

It is nice to be made to feel irreplaceable. Really, is there anything better than that?

No comments: