Thursday, April 28, 2005

rules of the game

Now that I have an impending dating situation I realized I need to review dating culture and customs. Problem is, I feel like the whole thing is a foreign lifestyle that I know nothing about. I feel like Nell of the dating world. I try to say "pass the salt please" and it comes out "aaaauuuuuuuuuurrrrrlllll". Not good.

For example, historically whenever I have gone on dates, I offer to split the check. Just because it seems silly and outdated to have a guy pick up the tab. If I went out with friends we would split the tab, why not with someone who could potentially be your best friend? This person just may be seeing you naked soon, after all. So all my life I thought this was okay, but read recently in moo cow's blog that basically in doing this I have signaled the nix on dating. Who knew? Thank god for blogs, I learn so much.

So now the question is, what other customs do I break that may send the wrong message? HB and I have been playing phone tag, and I figured with this next round (me calling him) I would suggest a date and time to go out next week. Is that too forward? Am I breaking date protocols? Do I have to wait until he suggests something?

I won't even get onto who makes the move for the fist kiss, one dilemma at a time, thank you very much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let him pay sister! You don't want a guy that won't/can't treat. I figure if you want to be fair wait until the 2nd or 3rd date then offer to pick up the tab- or do it slyly where it is already paid for when it gets to be that time... former waitress can surely pull that off! Plus I think there is a pleasure in treating and don't deprive him of that...