Wednesday, April 06, 2005

for love or money

So yesterday I updated my resume and posted the new, shiny version on HotJobs.com. I subsequently applied to a business analyst position at a company for a salary way way way above what I currently make. Likelihood I overshot? About 50/50.

It comes down to the idea that I believe deep down in my soul I am too smart to be this poor. I also am too hard of a worker. Today I got an email from American Express trying to recruit me to be a financial advisor. So I'm going to go check it out.

Oh dear, I know there are risks involved. What is the base salary while I build up my client/commission list? How long does it take to establish oneself in the field? What is the average return, or at least the median? Thing is, this career is how Suze Orman got her start, and I find that rather encouraging. I'm good with numbers. I'm good with people. I think this may be the kind of job that could get me to my goal of grad school a little bit quicker. Or at least out of my current work situation - change begets change, after all.

No, it’s not quite as altruistic as I like, but helping other people make money can't be bad, can it?

I'm scheduled to meet with the recruiters next Tuesday. Career number fifteen? Quite possibly.

No comments: