Sunday, April 24, 2005

humor

Good news, I got over my cold by taking a little nap in my office and drinking lots of OJ. Yay for the easy cure!

Saturday was the big birthday party for a friend. It went really well, she was in good spirits and I believe it went off without a hitch. Oh, and I gave some guy my phone number.

I don't know his name, all I know is he is a friend of the birthday girl's sister and he lives in Hoboken. I know NOTHING else about him, which should make this interesting. He did not call me today, and its funny but I'm relieved. Not because I don't want him to call, just that he is not desperate or clingy or too eager. If he calls me in the next couple of days I'm up for a date. I was not really attracted to him, but he was fun enough that maybe it will be something that ends up happening.

How much does initial attraction really mean? Or that first impression? For me the jury is still out on that one. If I am really attracted to someone, I become a blithering idiot. If I enjoy someone's company, I can relax, enjoy myself, and sometimes end up growing attracted.

Mr No Name is not necessarily unattractive; he's just not my type. He is fair and stocky, where I tend to lean towards dark and wiry.

When I think back to when I met the ex, my one really long-term relationship, I was not really into him when I first met him. He was cute enough, but I did not think of him as being either here nor there. And I remember being really afraid of the first date - that it would be boring or tedious. That first date we ended up spending the entire time laughing, which was such a pleasant surprise. The event of that date that really clinched it for me was at the end. We had gone to a cider mill, eaten some donuts and had some cider. We had talked, laughed, had a good time, and were on the way home. I was driving, and he moved to put his elbow up on the door - but the window was not rolled down. Thunk! Then it happened - he laughed. At himself.

The ability to laugh at ones self is a rare and beautiful trait. Especially when you are in a high-pressure situation like a first date. I believed it then, and I still believe it now. He laughed, and I melted. And the attraction grew.

Hopefully Mr No Name is not a republican. That would be a deal breaker. I should do a blog on deal breakers one day, which might be interesting.

No comments: