Thursday, January 06, 2005

Mr Wonderful

So last year my sister gave me this little toy called Mr. Wonderful. When you push his stomach, he says things like:

"The ball game really isn't that important. I'd rather spend more time with you."

"Let's just cuddle tonight"

"Actually, I'm not sure which way to go. I'll turn in here and ask for directions."

"Here, you take the remote. As long as I'm with you, I don't care what we watch."

Sure, I laughed when I got it, its funny. Because it is based on stereotypes. Or, at least, media presented stereotypes. When I took social psych in college, we learned that stereotypes are based on a kernel of truth. Like when you joke about Irish people being drunks, its because the drunk ones are pretty darn obnoxious, they stand out. Or maybe that a few are known to take a drink now and again.

I feel like the stereotypes above are from an outdated time and age. I know women who watch football rabidly, and men who don't even know what month the superbowl is in. I know women who would scoff at a snuggle and prefer a screw, and men who want to wait a month before sleeping with a lady. I know women who will drive around for an hour and men who yell at them to pull over already so they can get some help. I know women who would rather die than give up the remote and miss their OC and men who will watch whatever.

The most recent stereotype to get debugged for me was the stereotype that men automatically love casual sex. It's all over the media, right? Players here, players there. Watch out for men, they just want one thing. They are sex crazy, will lie, cheat, and steal to get it.

Sure, I have met a couple of guys like this. But really, even in this city by and large I meet relationship guys. Same with my friends. We have actually joked about the fact that the guys we think we had a one-night stand with keep calling. Must be some kind of fluke, we keep finding guys who want a relationship!

One of my guy friends really summed it up best for me, in a way that hit home.

Everyone wants to be loved.

Not a bad sentiment, I think.

No comments: