Tuesday, August 22, 2006

meaning

Do you believe that you will make a difference?

I remember looking out from my bedroom about four years back at all the lit windows in my view. And thinking how insignificant I was, how many people there are on this island, hell on this planet, and how small my life really was.

But I don't believe that. Probably because of the whole empiricism thing. Sure as hell it wasn't that people told me when I was growing up that I was all that. Oh no, I had to work hard to get every ounce of praise thank you very much. (And every ounce was and still is very much revered.)

Now when I look out my window I expect that people are looking in at me, not so much vica versa. Maybe it is narcissism, maybe it is a lust for fame from our culture, maybe it is loss of perspective. Do other people feel this way too? Or do the truly influential souls like Shakespeare or Siddhartha never feel such hubris at all?

This I do know - where my corporate job does have some influence, it is not my gift revealed. Gotta work on that one.

**(My gift revealed - who says that kind of thing???)

No comments: