Tuesday, July 25, 2006

work for it

Often I joke that nothing worth having in life is ever easy. It is one of those chicken or egg type questions - do you treasure something more because you worked harder to get it, or is it just a law of our universe that there really is a cost to things and that cost is directly proportional to its worth?

This article makes me think back to that balance. If 40% of the people who get gastrointestinal surgery to solve their obesity issues end up with complications, are they being put through the official cost of getting thin? I would never wish what I have gone through (all those surgeries and hospital visits, blech) on others, but I also didn't ask someone to cut me open.

I suppose the cost is relative - diet and exercise diligently, or be forced to diet due to the impending life threatening complications. Right.

No comments: