Friday, July 07, 2006

it is on

This week saw the beginning of my official marathon training. That's right people, we're movin past the kid stuff here! I am on game time.

Of course having committed to running the NYC Half Marathon on August 27th with Spaghetti adds another dimension to the whole experience.

Heat.

Last weekend while at the Jersey shore we had a few training runs. In the 80 degree plus fieriness. Under the blazing sun on the boardwalk. Let me tell you, THAT was an eye opener. You know what? It is harder to run when it is hot outside. My pulse skyrocketed immediately, and oh the overheating. When we were in the midst of our six-mile jog I actually had to walk for a half of a mile because my heart rate would not go back down.

The two subsequent runs were better, albeit just as uncomfortable. Proof positive I am going to have to go out of my way to get some heat and sun training in this summer. Drat and double drat.

On the bright side, I think the heat runs significantly improved my endurance overall - back in my nice air-conditioned gym this week my training was spectacular.

So as the song says, the heat is on. And all things aside, I am really excited for my training. Getting this much closer to something I have anticipated for years rocks!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck, Girl!!! It's more than I can do to just stand not having air conditioning in my apartment when I'm NOT out running, or doing anything remotely athletic at all :)

Anonymous said...

Very smart to train outside right now. Do you have a water belt yet?