Sunday, July 15, 2007

testosterone

One of my favorite episodes of This American Life is the one about testosterone. Really, it is just brilliant. My favorite bit is when the staff ends up testing their levels of the hormone. So entertaining, but more importantly enlightening. Makes you look at people in a whole new way, as in how much of who we are and what we do comes down to the secretion of a gland or two?

Today I finished reading The Sun Also Rises by Hemmingway and then watched Fletch and Fight Club.

Honestly, I only really get Fight Club. It is smart and has a brilliant twist. And Edward Norton is an amazing actor. I would totally do him over Brad Pitt. If I had a choice. Because that is SO likely. But I digress.

Back to today’s events - I kind of get Hemmingway.

Okay, not really. I have tried reading his short stories about hunting and bull fighting. They just don't seem all that interesting. The Old Man and the Sea was good. I think. As a really in depth metaphor.

As for Fletch? Frankly my dear I didn't give a frick. It didn't strike me as so funny. Maybe because I'm twenty years out of context or have never really had a problem not recognizing the quotes.

I write about this because it kind of ticks me off. It bothers me that I can't get that perspective, that I can't empathize. Why the heck not? It isn't like I am a stereotypical girl in any way, but I understand those who are. And I totally understand most unstereotypical guys. But when it comes down to the most testosterone-y of men I just can't relate.

But then again do I really want to?

If I did I suppose I could try to join an armed force. Talk about immersing yourself in it. I did try applying to the FBI the other day. They turned me down because I had smoked pot within the last three years. So maybe I'll try again in a couple of months...

No comments: