Sunday, February 03, 2008

the haves and the have nots

If you have been a loyal reader over the years you are familiar with the fact that most of my life I was broke. Most of my life I worked two jobs and even then just scraped by to make the rent. But I did so because I valued a life of adventure over a life of security.

After a long winding and surprising road, last year I found myself in a place of prosperity. For the first time I had cash in hand that was more than my bills. Disposable income.

To be completely honest it has been great. But not so much for the whole buying crazy things part. But for being able to give to others part.

Should you have been out and about with me in the past few months you may have noticed I have been buying a lot of rounds. A lot of shots. On occasion picking up a tab. I have been spending this money like crazy.

But I'm not doing it to show off or something crazy like that. It is because FINALLY I get to give back some of what has been given to me over the years. So many people were generous to me when I was low on funds. Every beer, every lunch meant SO MUCH to me. Knowing now that I can do that for other people is the best gift that I have been given. Ever.

Maybe also part of the joy of giving this away is because I feel like I don't deserve all the money I'm making. It was too easy to get here. Yes I know that I'm always working through lunch and after hours. But it is behind a desk in a climate-controlled office that provides free coffee and soda. We all know people who work way harder and don't get what they truly deserve.

So until they do I love to give them what someone once gave me.

That being said, finally after the last couple of years of fighting complacency and lack of inspiration I am ready to make my next big leap. Not this second, it will take some preparation. With this big step will come a sudden drop of income. As most leaps do.

One of my friends guessed my next venture. On the first try thank you very much. And when it was confirmed I was asked why I'm still spending this money on people instead of saving it.

Huh, that's a good one. Smart friend. So I'm giving myself until the end of the month to play the benefactor with buds, then I'll put the wallet away and go back to normal person spending mode. To save up so when I make my move I don’t have to go to hermit because of no money mode.

Now I just have to figure out when I can make the jump.

No comments: