Tuesday, April 03, 2007

so over it

Today I received yet another notice that I am automatically qualified to run the ING NYC Marathon.

Unlike the reaction I had to the email notification two months ago, I feel nothing.

No, that is not right. I do feel...like I don't want to do it. I don't want the long hours of training. I don't want to miss hanging with friends one weekend night a week to prep for a long run. I don't want to run 26.2 miles ever again. Unless I am in danger and have to. Then maybe it will be okay.

Two weeks ago I was going for a run in the park, and ran opposite of the last leg of the More Marathon. That would be the marathon only run my women over 40. As I moved in the opposite direction i watched as they went by me. All I could think was:

"You poor bastards. Why, why, why???"

Can you believe I wanted to do that same thing just a year ago? Experience teaches us so much. My lesson from the past twelve months?

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to. Even if it is extraordinary.

No comments: