Thursday, June 05, 2008

70

What the heck do you get your dad when he turns 70?? Really??

He's retired, with my mom. They don't go out, they don't have hobbies. They go to church on Sundays, read the paper, and watch analog nighttime TV.

Okay, he also talks on the phone. A lot. (Where did that gene go, Spaghetti wonders....)

But overall he and my mom pretty much have everything they want. Each Christmas my siblings and I rotate between getting him gloves, hats, and ties. Because there is nothing else he wants or needs.

To this I argue - shouldn't 70 mean something? Isn't there something I can give?

All I have is to call. Which I suppose in some ways may be a lot But really not so much. The idea is grand, but it is limited to what my father will do with it. I don't know what he would like to hear, and he is afraid to ask any meaningful questions. If I could read his mind yes I would talk more...but I can't.

Thus I am left with so little to give. Unless there is a gift he can't foresee that would rock?

Crap. Who knows. People who are seventy don't blog, thus no insight. Guess I'll just try and read his mind.

No comments: