Friday, February 09, 2007

gym adventures

At the ripe old age of 18 I signed on for a lifetime membership to a gym. Who knew I was so wise at so young of an age?

Luckily for me this same gym has locations in NYC. So I've been keeping up with my dues the past few years, which came in pretty darn handy training for the marathon and all.

You see all kinds of characters come in and out of the gym. There are the regulars for your time slot, and of course the visitors. Visitors being the ones who join and show up for a month, but that is about all.

Last night I went to step on the scale at the gym at the same time as an elderly Asian woman. Whom I have never seen at the gym before.

We did the whole - you first - no you first - dance. She got on and tsk tsked her weight. She was probably 20 years my senior, two inches my inferior, and for sure 15 lbs. lighter.

When I got off she stood next to the scale. No, that is not normal behavior.

Then as I weighed myself, she chuckled and said, "Oooh! You are so fat! Ha ha ha!"

....

Yes, really.

THEN as I walked off to hit the showers, she followed and kept talking. About what I have no idea, I just wanted to get away from the crazy insulting Asian lady.

Okay, don't get me wrong, honestly I don't think she meant to be as rude as she seemed. From her manner it seems more of a language/culture thing, like it was totally okay for her to say.

All the same, pure irony, all I could think was "thank god this woman wasn't my mother." One thing my mom has to her credit, she always tried to be subtle in her...suggestions.

"You are so fat! Ha ha ha!"

Dude. Seriously.

No comments: