Friday, September 30, 2005

guilt

I admit, as a side effect of being a workaholic I have presenteeism. I went back to work before I was all the way better, because I felt so guilty for being sick in the first place. As my cough started to get worse, I ended calling out sick yesterday and today.

This morning as I was calling out, I checked my voicemails. My boss had called and left not one, not two, but three messages at ONE THIRTY AM. The first was in anticipation of the next day, as was the second. The third was after she checked her voicemails and heard me calling out sick the day before.

At this point, I'm thinking, "oh my god, this project is so huge she's up this late, I've got to go in."

Then I realize my boss has no sense of reality and call out sick anyway. I don't want to be her! My life does not revolve around my job. I take pride in doing good work and being needed, but not at the expense of my health.

Not to mention I can't go see Serenity until I get over this cough, I'm on a timetable here! Priorities people!!

No comments: