Sunday, December 16, 2007

back in the saddle

Dating just confuses me. It just doesn't make sense. You basically schedule a set of interviews to see if you want to fall in love.

How does that work? Look at the first date - you both are on your best behavior, doing your damnedest to make sure you don't let out too much of your crazy.

To be honest though, isn't it the crazy in people that really makes you like them? When you describe the people closest to you, it is what sets them apart that you think of first. And what you look forward to in them the most.

So I went on a date with one of my speed dating matches this week. It was surprising. Because it was FUN.

Yep, you heard me right. I went on a date and had a good time. I heard somewhere that this could happen, but thought it was some strange urban myth. You know, like waking up in a bathtub of ice with a kidney gone or being able to think yourself thin.

Anyhoo, so we enjoyed each other's company. But I just couldn't get a read on his crazy. We met at a bar for drinks, and because you know how I like to have a plan I had arranged it so I had to leave the bar after two hours. That way if the night was a bust I had a sure out. And if was to go well then I could get out while the getting was good.

It went well. I think. There weren't many lags in conversation, and he was interesting and pleasant. We had some laughs, and at the end of the date we did the whole good bye kiss thing. I had a smile plastered on my face the whole way home and for the rest of the night. Because he seemed great, and the fact that it was so shocking for me to enjoy dating. Who knew? Maybe I can do more of this?

But how long will it take until the curtain comes down enough to know if I really like the guy? He asked me out to dinner next, so I guess we'll see soon enough. What will it be, I wonder. What will it be...

No comments: