Monday, August 22, 2005

chemical motivation

Do you know there are people out there who can function without coffee in the morning? The fabled “morning people”.

I have been doing this nine to five gig for almost five years now. Fully aware of my addiction to late nights, I make a consorted effort to get to bed early and get enough sleep.

No matter what, I am a zombie without my caffeine. Be it coffee, red bull, tea, or soda, I just gotta have it. It’s not an addiction thing either; I don’t get coffee headaches or withdrawals of any kind. I just am tired. Lackluster. Less than.

It’s not like I haven’t tried other avenues. Vitamin B, chromium, uber vitamins…nada.

Today I made it to 10:20 am before finally giving in to the java monster.

Makes me wonder – the head of my department, she is over 40, mother of three, 5’8” and only 118 pounds, lives an hour and a half away – and NEVER drinks caffeine. I want whatever she’s taking.

Did you know that residents have to show up to the hospital at 6:30 am for rounds? Can’t wait for that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when are your resident days...did I miss something?