Tuesday, March 04, 2008

foregone conclusions

Well, the birthday party went off without a hitch. Lots of good friends and lots of good beer, of course many thanks to everyone who came! The Guinness Lady was in the bar so everyone got a free brew or two, adding to the joy.

And I got a balloon!! Haven't gotten one of those since high school. Which is fun to think about since that was half of my life ago. When I was blond with long curly hair. If my scanner ever works I'll be happy to share. Heh.

One thing of note is I realized not only am I the girl of one hundred and one analogies, I am also a girl of a thousand and one theories. Seriously, there are things like the law of gravity and the theory of relativity...and then there are my tried and "true" observations.

For example, I have a theory about the perception of time in our lives. Most people will agree that as you get older time seems to fly by faster and faster. I have discovered that you can slow it down again. All you need to do is instigate some big changes. Big ones, nothing small here. Like move to a completely new area. Get a new job. Buy a home. Have a child.

Anyone who has done those things will testify that the bigger the change the slower time goes again. As you get more used to the situation then time speeds back up. That's why the first year with a baby lasts forever and every detail is noticed, but by the time the child hits 12 it is nearly impossible to keep up with their favorite color because it changes so 'quickly'.

Here is where the analogy comes in. Just envision your perception of time when you are finding your way to a new location with directions. Every street, every sign, every landmark is important. Nothing escapes your attention and every detail is tantamount. Now think to the 100th time you go to the same place. Half the time you don't even notice or remember the journey anymore. And while the first time just going a mile felt like it took an hour but now it goes by in a blink of an eye.

So the question is...which do you care about more? Comfort and security or grasping every moment and savoring it?

Bet you can all guess my answer.

No comments: